Pope Francis on January 23, 2020, received in audience Cardinal Angelo Becciu, Prefect of the Congregation for the Causes of Saints, and authorized the promulgation of 2 decrees on martyrdom and 6 decrees on heroic virtues.
Decrees on martyrdom
– Servants of God Benet Domènech Bonet from Santa Coloma De Gramenet (born Josep Domènech Bonet) and 2 companions of the Order of Friars Minor Capuchin. They were killed in hatred of the faith, in Spain, between July 24 and August 6, 1936.
– Servants of God José María Gran Cirera and 2 companions, professed priests of the Missionaries of the Sacred Heart of Jesus, and 7 laypersons. They were killed in hatred of the faith, in Guatemala between 1980 and 1991.
These 13 have been cleared for beatification.
Decrees on heroic virtues
– Bishop Giovanni Tavelli of Ferrara of the Order of Gesuati was born in Tossignano (Italy) in 1386 and died in Ferrara (Italy) on July 24, 1446.
– Father Joachim Masmitjá y Puig, canon of the Cathedral of Girona, founder of the Missionary Sisters of the Immaculate Heart of Mary. He was born in Olot (Spain) on 29 December 1808 and died in Girona (Spain) on 26 August 1886;
– Father Joseph Antonio Plancarte y Labastida, diocesan priest and founder of the Sisters of Mary Immaculate of Guadalupe. He was born in Mexico City (Mexico) on December 23, 1840, and died in Mexico City (Mexico) on April 26, 1898.
– Father José Pio Gurruchaga Castuariense, diocesan priest and founder of the Congregation of the Parish Helpers of Christ the Priest. He was born in Tolo (Spain) on 5 May 1881 and died in Bilbao (Spain) on 22 May 1967.
– Father Marie-Antoine from Lavaur (born François-Léon Clergue), priest of the Order of Friars Minor Capuchin. He was born in Lavaur (France) on December 23, 1825, and died in Toulouse (France) on February 8, 1907.
– Sister Maria do Carmo of the Holy Trinity (born Carmen Catarina Bueno), professed nun of the Order of Discalced Carmelites. She was born in Campinas (Brazil) on November 25, 1898, and died on July 13, 1966, in Taubaté (Brazil).
With the recognition of the heroic virtues, these 6 candidates will now be called Venerable Servants of God or simply Venerable.
The post Pope Approves Decrees on Martyrs and Heroic Virtures appeared first on ZENIT – English.